Monday, September 23, 2013

Susan Cerandon Meets Julia Roberts



“You know every story, every wound, every memory. Their whole life's happiness is wrapped up in you... every single second. Don't you get it? Look down the road to her wedding. I'm in a room alone with her, fixing her veil, fluffing her dress, telling her no woman has ever looked so beautiful. And my fear is she'll be thinking, "I wish my mom was here."    Julia Roberts to Susan Sarandon 




This movie always brings tears to my eyes and not because of its heart-wrenching plot.  Every once in a while, Hollywood gets it right...and this time, they did so big time.  We bear each other's stories--the plot of our lives is played out with others.  We honor these stories and keep them sacred as we go forward with our lives.

Julia Roberts or Hollywood did not quite get this story correct.  Sure she will miss her mother.  People are irreplaceable.  But she will find her mother's story in Julia and in herself as she goes forward into life.

There is a truth about our faith. Jesus Christ is the place where our stories meet God's story.  I am not talking the generic human story.  I mean you and me and the specifics of our story.  Our stories, so unique, irreplaceable in Jesus' hands are forever embraced by God.  And mark these words how our lives go on into eternity through him.  We are not step children. All of us are direct descendents in Jesus Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment