Thursday, December 12, 2013

The Candle Tells the Story!

Most Advent wreaths have 4 candles--one for each Sunday on the way to Christmas. But look closely at this wreath--and at the center--the white candle stands for Christ in Christmas.  There is far more to this idea than adding the center, white candle.  It has to do with seeing the fulfillment of what Advent is supposed to do--bring us to the birth of the Christ Child. 

Over and over I ask myself how the present challenge actually helps prepare me for the coming of Christ in a new way in my life.  How is your "to-do" list coming and how does it really relate to your own spiritual welfare? 

Tonight we brought the tree in and got it set up. That's always a very long way in our household to getting it decorated!  But it is still there.  For one moment, I felt suspended and saw two of my sons at work and my mind raced back to all the years we have done this custom--and how many more years we may have together to do precisely this tree setting up.  The counting of days and weeks in Advent reminds me of the Psalmist--"Teach us O Lord to number our days" and elsewhere, "Help us to count our days by your grace." 

Remember the white candle as you walk through Advent and count your days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment