Monday, July 1, 2013

Atheist Monument, Starke, Florida

Monument to Atheism
Well, they certainly found the fitting town for a monument to atheism--"Starke," Florida.  The purpose of the New Jersey based group was equal time, putting their monument next to the 10 commandments--as if the 10 commandments are the bottom line for a belief in God.  The 1500 lb granite monument has quotations from American leaders and well-known atheists.  (One is Madelyn Murray O'Hare--and I thought that got religion before she died.)  The difficulty of course with atheism is that it submits that all belief in God is wrong--unlike the agnostic, who at least leaves room for doubt and covers his/her bet in case there is one.


  "When you look at this monument, the first thing you will notice is that it has a function. Atheists are about the real and the physical, so we selected to place this monument in the form of a bench," said David Silverman, president of American Atheists.


From my microphone....
I saw the above quotation and I wondered to myself:  it used to be that people believed in what they could see--that was the world.  Then along came the microscope and the telescope--and reality changed dramatically.  Then how about the electron microscope? the Hubble "telescope"?  To say with atheists that reality is only what can be seen and measured is a limited view indeed.

As I watched the unveiling, I saw people dash over and have pictures taken on it.  Thought I to myself?  Who is that going over to sit on the bench?  No!  Couldn't be???  Surely not!  Once again, Herod and all the surrounding countryside were afraid....  Life is always more than what it appears and the greatest truths and enduring realities cannot be photographed...



No comments:

Post a Comment