Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Stunned & Awe



Stunned & Awe

Where did you come from little Cardinal,
dappled dressed olive in flight?  How 
was it you came by my porch and flew 
into the screen?  I wondered if you chased 
illusions for what you thought was there,
headlong into life's barrier, that tempter 
glass ceiling beset against us all.  I picked
you up and held you  gently to hand you back
to your realm where wings reign and soar
into endless dreams. Once more the miracle,
you took the risk to fly.


  This morning, I went out on the back porch for coffee and calm....when a juvenile female cardinal flew into the porch, but could not find her way out. Indeed, there is a very large opening where the screen is missing and she just could not find it.  Finally, she flew headlong into the screen and careened to the floor.  Stunned...she lay there as I gently picked her up...hoping she had not broken a wing.  As she came to....she perched on my finger, looked around...and launched herself back into the world.  Thought I to myself, the miracle of living is to get up and go on.  Then I thought of the gentle hands which have held me and set me to flight again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment