Tuesday, October 22, 2013

October Road



 "October Road"
            by James Taylor

Keep me walking, October road.
Keep me walking in the sunshine, yeah
A little friend of mine

October road, October road ,
Help me now




I play James Taylor's "October Road" every fall to remind me of the seasonal journey through the year.  That "little friend of mine" for Taylor may be the sunshine itself....which begins to withdraw and leaves us in winter.  He sees the world in new ways through October light.  At least that is what it means to me and what I have learned about critiquing art is that all art is independent of its creator.  We can find new meanings despite what the composer intended because the work is free from the creator.

Better watch this "free of the creator!"  Remember that old saying from Art Buchwald, "And God saw it was good and then people got a hold of it!"  Nevertheless we are given free will--and as the light of the world changes through the seasons, we have the Light that shines in the darkness and the darkness has never overcome it."  We walk the October Road with the One who said, "I am the light of the world." 



 ‘I am the light of the world.
Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness,

 but will have the light of life.’

                                      John 8.12

No comments:

Post a Comment