Thursday, January 2, 2014

One Actor Show

I just watched an actor put on a one-person play--in which he played all seven actors in the movie. Does it matter that it was Jacob Marley's Christmas Carol by Tom Muhla adapted for the stage?  Or, that one person was able to fit into all those characters and move between them?  I sat on the front row and marveled as the actor "got into each character," changing position, voice and facial expression.  To my count--he misspoke twice and that happened on back to back lines so that he was out of sync in the dialogue.  Good thing, because I was beginning to think this actor was perfect!  Oh, I have seen one actor recitations--one did Mark's Gospel and Ernest Borgnine (of all people!) did the other that I can't recall.

I just had to wonder...

How well do we know other people so that we can get into their character?  Is it a stretch to see that the man Jesus knew his sheep so well that he could call them by name?  In other words, he knew his followers and I suspect that attraction was the foundation of discipleship. At least we are not called to be everyone else--just ourselves!  In relationship to Jesus, we become who we are called to be.  

There's the story of the man who dies after trying all his life to be just like Moses.  In fact, he would ask himself WWMD--what would Moses do?  In heaven, he is told by Moses--"What on earth told you to be like me instead of yourself?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment