Monday, February 23, 2015

fanning flames...

I came downstairs this morning to find the coals from the evening's fire still glowing....
And, they could easily be fanned into flames for the new fire of the cold morning.
How often do I cover over the old ashes in my life as if they could never catch flame again?
Lent is after all a word that means "lengthening of light"--the light returning to the world.
Could it not be the time to fan those flames into the passion for living in a new direction?

I began to read the story of the temptation this morning....and after I introduced it, I immediately saw that the book was marked incorrectly.  It was not Matthew, but supposed to be Mark!  A much different story....Just what does it take for us to close the book on one story line in our lives and move on to the next one?  All the temptation stories make clear.  The same Spirit that leads Jesus into the wilderness, we can infer leads him out.  A new chapter began for him, and for us when we make the effort to get on the same page with him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment