Thursday, February 19, 2015

The Day After Ash Wednesday

The service ended, and I washed the ashes from my forehead.
"Beware of practicing your piety in public."
Meanwhile Cardinal Whurl of Washington DC reminds us of those who dare
to wear the cross and risk their lives.
So what's the risk for me?
Unless that is....that I myself is the real challenge before me.  To wear those ashes
in my soul and burn off the dross that has collected there for a long time.

Maybe that is why I stood there at the end of the service....just staring at the altar candle.
Everybody recited the Post-Communion Prayer while I stood there staring at the candle
that found its way inside...to the heart....and burns there still.

Ashes that burst into flame?  
What power on earth is there that does that....
The same that drew Lazarus from the tomb,
    raised the daughter of Jairus....
has already started to raise me in these 40 days.  


 http://i.ytimg.com/vi/nGdbA0LyIpE/maxresdefault.jpg



No comments:

Post a Comment