Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Aye, Calyspso!

Aye, Calypso!  

To live on the land we must learn from the sea,
To be true as the tide
And free as the wind-swell,
Joyful and loving in letting it be. 



What have I learned from the sea?

About 12 years ago, I took my boys several miles out to a deserted island off Cape Newagen.  We towed a rowboat so that we could land on it.  Facing the outward ocean, this spot gathered incredible flotsom and jetsom treasures.  And we made it!  And it was a great find!  And the boat would not start when we tried to leave.  There we were, miles out, the fog descending and rain on the horizon.  What would you do?  (and no cell phones worked out there!)

I can tell you that no boat was coming out that way late in the afternoon. We'd have a very long wait before anyone would ever find us out there.  We were safely tied to a mooring.  So, I tied the 30 ft power boat to the stern of the 8 ft. rowboat--and rowed, and rowed and oh my aching back rowed!  It took hours in the fog, drizzle--even with the tide with us.  At one point, the oar lock broke and my son had to hold his foot on it.  My other two sons alternated between fishing and sleeping in the power boat! 

 
 
 The Cuckholds Lighthouse
Cape Newagen, Maine

  Oh, we made it home alright.  But I had to ask myself what would have happened if we did not have that rowboat with us.  Mind you, we took it not for plan B rescue but to land on the island.  What I learned from the sea was just plain respect.  The destination you think you have crossed an expanse which must be respected.  

Of course, there is making sure you are prepared for every eventuality.  After all, we were safe! There is something about going with the flow, the ebb of the current which you feel guiding and taking you where you need to be.

I wonder.  Is that the stuff of faith?  Cooperating with the flow of life and lives, seeking that harmony or equilibrium?  The mission of Calypso was engaging the world of the ocean to understand and improve who we are in the natural order....how we fit in, who we are and what we do as stewards.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment