Saturday, September 29, 2012

Men will be Boys!

Some Men will be Boys!
What's It Really Werth?  

Jayson Werth gave the world a lesson in how we act out the child in each of us--that is, the bad kid.  The former Philly went into Philadelphia to raise hell, my my subtle view, because of his "get even" attitude.  First he stole the keys to the Philly Phanatic Mascot's cart--only flipping the keys in the other direction in disrespect to the poor guy.  Then in the decisive 9th inning, he took a ball and teased some kids in the fans with it before flipping it into the Nationals' dugout--low rent down and out jerk to tease a bunch of kids like that.  Werth hit bottom worth. 

Let's hear his side of the story: 



“So in the ninth when I got the ball, I was going to flip the ball. There was a group of kids. Behind the kids there were these unruly middle-aged men that to me appeared to be snarling. It’s the ninth. Who knows. I kind of got the sense that maybe they were intoxicated. I was going to flip it to the kids, and then I thought, maybe I shouldn’t, because of the people right behind the innocent little children there. “So I just flipped it in the dugout. Evidently, that rubbed some people the wrong. After the events in right field, I felt it was better to maybe not throw it in the stands.”

Sorry Jayson.  No benefit of the doubt because a professional does not act that way--period.   Oh, you aren't a professional, you say, you are right that you have plenty of company in big league sports.  

What do we draw from this story?  The outward behavior is the face of the soul?  The bad child in us always acts on impulse?  How about this:  this one story was writ large in media because it was a baseball player.  Maybe we should not expect more.  Maybe when we see this kind of thing, we can "repay" those kids by the way we go into the world and find a way to treat kids and others differently--so that when this story is history, the real worth remains with those we care for.  Play ball! 


No comments:

Post a Comment