Sunday, September 30, 2012

Who Am I?



Who Am I?
by Dietrich Bonhoeffer


Who am I? They mock me, these lonely questions of mine.
Whoever I am, Thou knowest, 0 God, I am Thine!

Bonhoeffer was a German theologian who was killed in a Nazi death camp the day before it was liberated.  Some believe in faith that Bonhoeffer was “liberated” when he was killed.  Throughout his imprisonment, his faith grew through periods of doubt which came through savage experiences.  Time and again, he climbed out of the pit of despair within himself and affirmed his faith.  

What is there in this one extreme experience that speaks to us?  For the Jew, the covenant holds the believer in the palm of Yahweh’s hand.  For the Christian, Baptism marks the believer as Christ’s own forever.  Theologians from every faith seem to have this one belief in common.  Adversity can grow our faith.  It opens the believer to God’s grace.  The extremity of human spirit is the opportunity for divine spirit. 


The Baptismal Shell


By the way, I am celebrating the anniversary of my baptism today.  What date do you use for your birth-day? 

No comments:

Post a Comment