Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year Stepping Stones

New Year Stepping Stones



I know of no other way to enter a Year Year...but by practicing the fine art of---looking back!  Walk a little, experience much, and reflect on it.  Look back.  The Native Americans traveled 3 days and then took one day to let their spirits catch up with them. .  I wrote this poem "Recognition" after leaping rocks and climbing hillsides in Maine.  Looking back to see where I had been gave me an inkling of who I am.  In fact, it was only until I looked back that I really appreciated the steps that I had taken to get there.   Keep a journal.  Record what you experience. Get a good look at yourself. 

 Recognition
I love to look back over my shoulder,
Or look down after the hike up the hill,
But most of all to jump between rocks
That stick out into the ocean…
       all of them,
lead to the right place to see where,
I came from, that rare moment to see,
myself before I started out. 
       Our lives
are made of short journeys with a gift,
the moment of recognition to look back,
and welcome the stranger on the trail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment