Thursday, January 10, 2013

Putting the Puzzle Together

Jig Saw Puzzle Parts 
Putting the Puzzle of Life Together

I attended a funeral recently, and while I was there, I kept seeing this gentleman in a full leg stabilizer--and just could not place him.  Something in his smile said I knew that person.  So during the reception, I made my way over and introduced myself. Once I heard the name--it was so very familiar, but I still could not place him. We sat at a table, and without trying to pry, I asked him all the "small world questions."  Eventually, we discovered that we had met 28 years ago at a wedding in New York City.  My goodness!  That's a lot to piece together--how did I dredge that one up? 

Psychologists call it the "aha experience."  Our minds assimilate billions of information over a lifetime.  Any event or situation--like being at a religious service--can suddenly tie the big picture together.  Where have I seen you before?    Granted that this is an inductive process.  You take one small bit of information and reason from there into the whole picture.

What if we play our cards another way?  
 

What if we begin with the large picture--like the box cover for the puzzle?  If you can see the big picture, then you can begin to look for certain parts that go together until gradually the puzzle is complete.  The key to the puzzle is the picture on the cover of the box! 

I do not want to be overly simplistic--but I think that most people live their lives with the box cover and then look for the parts to fill in.  All kinds of things contribute to the box cover--values, beliefs, convictions on all levels, self-image.  Then we look for the parts to fill in the puzzle.  The only question is this: what have you chosen for the top of your box?  What dictates your selection of the puzzle parts?  

No comments:

Post a Comment