Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Pit

Sink Hole Claims Florida Man and House
"Oh Lord, do not abandon me to the Pit."
Psalms



A very freak event of nature and sheer tragic coincidence claimed the life of 37 year old Jeff Bush when a "chasm," a monstrous sink hole, opened underneath his bed and swallowed him alive.  CNN reported it this way:  
 
"I heard a loud crash, like a car coming through the house," Jeremy Bush told CNN affiliate WFTS. "I heard my brother screaming and I ran back there and tried going inside his room, but my old lady turned the light on and all I seen was this big hole, a real big hole, and all I saw was his mattress."

Frantic efforts by Jeff Bush could not rescue his brother.  When police and paramedics arrived on the scene, they forced everyone to leave because of the uncertainty of the rest of the house.  A sink hole is bad enough; a chasm can increase exponentially.  

"I know my brother's dead," said Jeff Bush, "but I just can't leave him here."  

If ever there was an event which plays into our psyche of sheer fear--this has got to be it.  There you are, asleep in your bed, and the very ground under you swallows you up.  Somebody pinch me.  This is a nightmare.  

Nobody can gloss over the sheer terror of Jeff as he heard his brother scream.  Sometimes the Bible is used as a gloss to cover over such horror with gross simplicities of inane statements--"He is with God now."   All I can tell you is that I know lots of people who suffer the impending loss of their lives--that it must be like a slow chasm taking you against your will.  I can tell you that I know people who have faced such endings who nevertheless hung on to those they loved and still died in peace. They witness to a love greater than life itself--which shouted in the agony of the life nailed to a cross.

 As for Jeremy Bush?  Lord have mercy.... is all we can pray.  
And also for his brother who now lives with that death. 


No comments:

Post a Comment