Thursday, June 20, 2013

Pay the Stranger's Bill!

Saying Grace,  Being Grace....

A young couple caught my eye in a restaurant.  There weren't many people there--but I could not miss them.  Mind you, for all the couples making-out in public places (PDA-public display of affection)--this was a tender moment that opened my heart.  They took each others hands and said the blessing--both of them speaking words to each other.  It could have been a bride and groom moment taking vows and giving rings.  Right there, right then--their hearts were grace--that free unconditional gift of openness to each other.
 
As I tell you how I responded....remember this is me and may not be genuine to you.  In fact, it may be this side of crazy to you.  But I think the point is worth making.  I paid that couple's bill as I left the restaurant.  That's right!  Even the waitress did not believe me at first.  Why do that?  Because I felt it in my gut.  Their blessing blessed me.  Their saying grace puled grace out of me.  Grace upon grace. 

No, they never knew who paid that check.  I never saw their reaction.  This was grace after their grace--love drawing out love of neighbor within me.

I see it this way.  We live in a world that robs us of humanity, depersonalizes--we are a number in the government data bank because of terrorism.  What do we breathe into the world?  What goodness do we offer?  Perhaps they will do the same thing at some time in their lives.

There is also the central fact of Christians.  We were bought with a price.  The bill was paid.  No demands are made on us, no settling of accounts--pure grace.  Do follow God's grace with ours?
Our lives are a gift from God, it is said, and what we do with our lives is a gift for each other.  Pay the bill, pay it forward and see how you feel for the rest of the day!  


No comments:

Post a Comment