Friday, June 7, 2013

Would You Eat in this Joint?

Ebb Tide Restaurant, Boothbay Harbor, ME 
 Read these two reviews....Would you eat here?


Review #1:  I went here thinking this place would be so good looking at these reviews....boy was I wrong. I have never seen bacon so thin and tiny... pancakes were 1 inch thick and tasted like rubber and they were undercooked... my husband ordered a western omelet and what he got was raw onions and peppers shoved into eggs that were still runny. People who rated this place 4 or 5 stars do not know what good food tastes like.
 
Review #2:  OK boys and girls...from where ever..I have been going to EBBTIDE Boothbay since 1956!..there is not a place on this blessed country that can beat their food. Breakfast/Lunch dinner - every EVERYmoutfull is a banquet!!. Lobster stew is the best EVER!. yes yes yes the sitting is sparce...but perfect..and the DESSERTS will blow away any idea you have of PIES!....I go there all the time...just to bring my pallette back up to PAR!!.....So forgetabout all the stupid reviews..This place is for eating. GOOD GREAT FOOD. (ps..I live in the Greater NYC area...SO THERE!!) Get there..and eat yourself into HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What It Comes Down To...
It comes down to your risk factor.  Are you the kind who reads the reviews before you go out strolling in a new town?  Or, are you the type who can eyeball the menu, the appearance, and give it a try?  The point is that there are some folks who have a clear, definite idea of what and how they want it.  Others go with the flow, and it is not a disaster if it does not work out.

I've got to wonder if the first reviewer read the reviews first and was then disappointed---or do you suppose that the reviewer went back to pan the place on the reviews and discovered to his shock that everyone disagreed with him--and had to add that jab, "nobody knows good food who liked this place!" 

So it comes down to your own likes or dislikes and living with them.  What does it matter if anyone else agrees or disagrees?

Now the REAL Story!
 
Okay, I love this place for many reasons--near the top of the list is that breathe in Maine as you sit in the wooden benches around polished wooden tables.  You hear the local accents as coffee mugs never run dry. And yeah, the food is great too!  Who says you go to a restaurant for just the food, anyway? Some of my very best meals came when the boys were little, we were just starting the Boothbay vacation--and they devoured the pancakes, eggs/bacon and those homemade blueberry muffins---Oh my so good in so many ways.  I still feast on those memories. And it does not depend on anyone agreeing with me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment