Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Struck by Lightning Twice

"Hey, I was just struck by Lightning!" 

Sorry, I am still talking about Jennifer Pharr-Davis and her experiences on the Appalachian Trail.  She went out in the rain to change clothes behind the shelter--and when she did--wham!  the current ran right through her.  Fortunately she was grounded and the lightning also took many routes into the ground.  But for somebody who has never experienced it, we can understand why Jennifer just starting out on the Trail had quite the experience with it

What I am not sure about however is this: she experiences the Holy Spirit in a Church service but does not seem to catch the comparison between the two events.  (and maybe because I am stretching things!)  She was at a meeting and members went into a frenzy, falling to the ground and fainting.  Then it hit her, she grew faint herself, so she reached forward to hold onto the pew.   What struck me is that she knew it and called it the Spirit.  One of the marks of the Spirit in my experience is that I have never had to wonder what it was or explain--it just IS and you know IT. 


Slain in the Spirit









What she seems to miss is the possible similarity between the experience of the lightning and then feeling the sudden jolt of the Spirit so that she reaches to grab onto the pew.  It is for me as if both follow the nerves and channel that power of Powers.  

So what do you think?  A greater likelihood to be struck by lightning or the Spirit?  One thing is for sure is this:  to endure on the Trail took the charge of her faith that she would complete it.  

"Hey, I was just charged by the Spirit!"  

No comments:

Post a Comment