Friday, June 28, 2013

The REAL You!

"You'll never guess what I saw!" 

My son came in the front door and told us to guess what he just saw--a fawn jumped out of the front bushes and headed around the corner of the house.  "The mother's got to be there some place," he said, "it's too young to be out on its own."  We have had all kinds of critters out there, but never a fawn.

I am going to draw an analogy between the rarity of seeing the fawn in the front yard---and--letting the real "fawn" or child out in us.  Truth is that we never lose the child in us--but we work hard to either ignore it, cover it up, or we let it out on impulse at the wrong time.  Sometimes we will do whatever it takes to keep others at a distance from our child because it is wounded from childhood.
Look at the picture below.  Do we let out the fawn, the child in us or do we "skunk" people to keep them away?

All I know is that it is a deeply moving moment to catch sight of the real person, sometimes it is a child who can step out from behind the masks, make-up, and masquerades to be the genuine article.
I once caught sight of just such a person.  Try as I did to catch in verse, I can never pay it justice except to end with emphasis on "splendor."




The Actress

For the longest time I only saw the actress,
And marveled at the ease with which she slipped
Into her character like a pair of well worn shoes,
And turned any place into a stage from where
To walk and work the crowd into the complicity
Of conspiracy that held her fragile and fearful self,
Which one day I beheld out of the corner of my eye,
The momentary revelation of what had been withheld,
Now suddenly given like the sun to break the darkness,
Of her days with light that shot out in all directions,
With a brilliance that blinded with one lasting sight,
of splendor.







No comments:

Post a Comment