Monday, December 31, 2012

Just for New Year's Eve

A Year Passes in a Second
Ringing in 2013!

In a second--one year passes into the next.  I will always remember that New Year's Eve that I could not make it up the road to celebrate the New Year with Eucharist at our Church.  I was lucky to make it across the room to the bathroom!  What I did recall was sitting in my living room (pot in hand) and watching the ball drop on TV into Times Square.  Then, I needed cold air and stepping outside on the porch, I hear the  church bell ring in the New Year--and as I knew, the priest was elevating and breaking the bread.  What a contrast--the ball drops in Times Square and the host is raised and broken in the mass.  One drops into madness.  One raises to Life eternal.  It is the sign that new life is found turning around our lives and going in a new direction--because we want it more than anything the world offers--the party that ends in one giant mess.  Or, the forever celebration of what God gives us. 

                                                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment