Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Lift-Off



 Peace

The 737 left the runway,
Broke through the sunset,
Settled me into my seat,
And let go of my baggage,
Dropping it over Nashville.

What secret do planes know,
When to lift off, then let go,
Of the weight of the world,
The baggage dragged behind,
That just needs to be dropped?

These lines wrote themselves in my heart as my plane took off from Nashville and headed to Maine for a respite.  The lift off--utterly a grace-filled moment--of separation from my world and then just letting it go. Then it dawned on me. Even on the plane, your spirit cannot soar until the moment finally comes of letting go and lifting off.  I have heard the same thing in this passage from Matthew 11:28.  

  28 ‘Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’      
                                                                                                                       Matthew 11:28  

Letting go means letting God have it -- have it all.  It does not mean being care-free which is not caring at all.  It means the opposite.  A deep caring for your soul so that its ultimate care is placed in God's hands.  How do you DO that?  Well, you DO it--offer it, let go and let go again...and feel yourself take flight.  

No comments:

Post a Comment