Monday, August 12, 2013

A-Rod in Us...

Alex Rodriquez at News Conference
Sorry...
I have enough in my life to handle without commenting on A-Rod.  Toss a stone his way and it comes right back at me.  Grant him grace to deal with himself and his God--and that grace comes back to you.  Ages old formula--what you do to others, you do to yourself.  Learn to have compassion--instead of just judging (and it is rational....) "the jerk had it coming," and that same judgment is given to you not to blow it in your life.  If we are to befriend ourselves--better start with the way we judge others--even big league ball players who cannot buy the "wholeness" for the "holes" in the ego to set themselves up as their own god.  Opps!  Was that a judgment?  Or what I recognize in my self. 

Frederick Beuchner is a favorite author of mine--a Presbyterian minister, scholar, and author of many books.  But I met the guy in person.  And I shall never forget him saying this at the conference--:"The judgment you have for others is the acid in your own pocket."  I took that to mean--any judgment can be toxic, as we shout at TV news, newspapers, people who cut in front of us--hold onto it, and it eats through you like acid.  Turn it aside and you become lighter and buoyant, freed from what weighs you down and eats at you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment