Friday, August 16, 2013

Coping with more than Cancer

Dear Mr. God.....


Dear Mr. God,
I’m writin’ You today
Because it seems like lately
I’ve forgotten how to pray
I know I don’t need this pen
But everybody likes to get
A letter now and then
I’m sorry for not writin’ more

Chorus:
‘Cause I need you
But it’s hard to see
Why anyone as big as You
Needs anything from me
You know You’re there
So how ya been?
I’m alright but I can’t lie,
Sometimes I feel like givin’ in
You’re all I’ve got


Thank you Warren Brothers for this part of your song and for the rest of it!  From the motion picture, Letters to God, comes a wonderful story of the inspiring battle of 8 yr. old Tyler Doherty against cancer.  He demonstrates for me--completely outside of the good movie makers--that the journey through life is not intended to be a solo act.  Although at times, surely we must walk by ourselves, nevertheless, can't we invite others along the way?  For Tyler, this is God in his daily letters.  It's his act of faith to reach beyond tragedy that will end his life prematurely to the Life that opens the door for a new way of living NOW, in the midst of cancer.  As the soundtrack sings--"I am gonna live my life like I have a second chance."  And as such, Tyler does in fact get that new lease on life.  He writes a chapter with his letters that inspire others--especially the mailman, new to his neighborhood and more lost in alcohol than cancer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment