Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Walk with a Rear View Mirror!

"I entered the deepest, darkest part of the woods where there was no trail."
     Dante, adapted from The Inferno








I felt like Dante today as I blazed what could be a trail for an Eagle Scout project--and there was no opening to begin it.  I just dove right in.  As I made my way, I could see the natural seam in the woods where a trail could go....with thanks to the deer who run through this area.  As I walked on--the woods became impenetrable.  Ever hear the expression--"Can't get there from here?"  So, I left the woods, backtracked the trail--and I drove to what is supposed to be the other entrance.  I started blazing from that end, winding through a lot of over-growth and poison ivy.  Time and again, after hanging up the long, yellow tape to mark the trail, I would look back and see how it could go in a straighter line with less work...still following the seam of the terrain.  Finally, I was far enough along that I could stop and watch for the yellow tape from the other trail.  There it was!  And I could curve this part of the trail to connect with it.

Thought I to myself--so much of life is a journey of taking account where you are. Take time to stop, look around and discover that without haste, there just may be a different way ahead by looking back.  Better yet, visualize what you believe the ending may be.  Approach where you are from that point and try to connect the trail from the other end.  We travel this life in such a short period of time.  Better do more than to stop and smell roses. Take an account of where you are and where you are trying to go.  Of course, as the Cat said to Alice--if it does not matter where you are trying to go, then any road will do!  

No comments:

Post a Comment