Saturday, November 16, 2013

"All about God, brother"

Stan McNeil, fired Rutgers Bus Driver




"I don'€™t regret none of it. I said this is who I am. ... 
I am all about God, brother."

Yes.  They probably had to fire the guy.  He crossed the line alright.  A public bus driver evangelizing on a bus.  Too far in today's society.  Apparently there was a woman in a wheel chair and he prayed for her by laying his hand on her.  He had been warned by the bus company before--and this was the last straw.  The bus company has a right to contract for a certain level of work standards.  Oh, Stan, you stepped across them!  
However...
More than 1500+ students signed and delivered a petition for his reinstatement.  There's the story. Stan meant something to these students--a real, authentic person who truly cared about them as individuals.  I'll take that over some robot who follows professional standards without one word of genuine care.  

So what does it mean to witness to our faith?  Does it mean going the lengths of Stan?  Some denominations teach that.  Why compromise the message, they would ask?  

At one point in my life, I visited inmates in jail.  Scared me to death at times.  I met with one person who said, "Alright, you can come in, but no God talk!"  So I went in.  For more than a year, I visited and avoided the God talk.  I like to think God was still visiting in me--by genuinely caring from one person to another.  When he was released, he called me on the phone.  All he said was--"Thanks man!"  He initiated the call.  He found the words.  They were as close to God as you get, a true Holy Communion....with the word "thanksgiving" meaning "Eucharist."  I did not have to explain it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment