Friday, November 22, 2013

JFK: Where were you when he died?

Do you recall where you were when President Kennedy was shot? I was sitting in my 5th grade classroom in Briarwood School in Florham Park, NJ with Mr. Uhleman was my teacher.  We were informed by the Principal shortly before we left.  I can still see 2 girls in particular walking down the hall and crying.  When I arrived home, I told my mother the news.   I can still see her reaching for the radio and the look of shock on her face. Then followed the solemn days when I recalled that drum beat of caisson.  
Ask anyone alive from that era and they will tell you with graphic detail where they were and what they were doing.  It was a death in all of our families and therefore written on all our psyches. For those who were not alive at that time--they themselves are conditioned by the tragic story as well.  An entire nation looks back to him and that day in Dallas.

I have stood at the site of the eternal flame...felt the silence and awe of a nation that stood there on that day when I was just a fifth grader.  Nevertheless, I too was drawn there in 2013.  I saw the simple markers, plain white crosses, for his brother Robert and Edward.  A grateful nation salutes their service.  A living faith in God kneels down and feels the power of the Spirit that transforms death and those who have passed into the divine prodding into the future.  

 A living faith is just that--alive, really alive NOW. We are not keepers of a museum--or cemetery for that matter.  The word from the angel in the Garden of Resurrection was this in a paraphrase: "Why are you looking for the living among the dead?  He is not here. He has risen, just as he said."  



No comments:

Post a Comment