Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Sea Spell

 
Sea Spell 



“I remember the day 
when the sea cast its spell upon me,
and I fell into the net of complete wonder and joy.”   

                                                            Jacques Cousteau 






Always my son Will with the fishing pole...and I know he was taken alike by the sea spell as I was when I was a youth.  I don't remember when it was.  But it is that awe-inspiring day in which you are taken up and made a part of something larger than yourself.  Now I ask you.  What was the most fulfilling?  To feel it as a boy?  Or, to watch it catch on with my own boy?  In generations, you are made a part of something that outlives you--yet experience the same joy you have being passed on beyond you.  

I think this passing of the gift is what St. Paul was after in 2 Timothy 1" 4-7

 Recalling your tears, I long to see you so that I may be filled with joy. I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that lived first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, lives in you. For this reason I remind you to rekindle the gift of God that is within you through the laying on of my hands; for God did not give us a spirit of cowardice, but rather a spirit of power and of love and of self-discipline.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment