Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Secret of Your Success

What is the Secret of Success?  

So here is this guy--king of the hill!  The ultimate image of the conqueror.... We see this picture all the time of people in all professions and sports--the one who made it to the top.  Is it as simple as perseverance--as the poem reads, just don't quit?


Don’t Quit
When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest, if you must, but don't you quit.

Success is failure turned inside out--
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far,
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit--
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

- Author unknown


Then I recalled the picture of mountain climbers before they reach the top to have their picture taken. And what do we see before they made it to the top?  Take a good, hard look and remember this one more than the lone guy at the top.

That's right!  They go together and on the safety line.  They depend on each other to make it to the top.  Rugged American individualism does not mean we go it alone.  It always means--choose well who you go with.  I think back over my life and I see the endless lines of teachers, mentors, coaches who were there for me--and tied me on to their rope to give me a leg up.  Nobody stands alone at the top.  The whole team does! 

We should be well advised to ask more than--"Where do I want to go?"  
Rather shall I always ask:  "Who shall I ask to go with me?" 



No comments:

Post a Comment