Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Goodbye Mindy!

Oh Mindy, You Left Us Too Soon!

The sudden death and apparent suicide took a talented life from us way too soon.  And of course--from her two children most of all.  Nobody should cast aspersions on a person struggling with addiction who chooses the final solution.  It was THAT bad to have left her kids behind.  That's what suicide is--a final solution to an unlivable life.  You catch a glimpse of the heartache in her book:

In her words, from a CNN Editorial
A year ago, McCready posted excerpts of a book she said was upcoming about her life. She acknowledged a difficult upbringing, personal problems and the challenges she faced turning her life around.

"I haven't had a hit in almost a decade," she wrote in January 2012 on her official fan website. "I've spent my fortune, tarnished my public view and made myself the brunt of punch line after punch line. I've been beaten, sued, robbed, arrested, jailed, and evicted.
"But I'm still here. With a handful of people that I know and trust, a revived determination, and both middle fingers up in the air, I'm ready. I've been here before. I'm a fighter. I'm down, but I'll never be out."

The CNN editorial ends with these words: 
But Sunday, on the porch of her home, she may have changed her mind.



My favorite flower has always been crocus.  They overcome winter and herald spring.  In the depths of winter, I think of the crocus and know that we can weather almost anything if we know the spring will come.  What I read in Mindy's final act is that she lost the springtime in her soul. 

What are the seeds that you and I plant in our souls, and in the souls of others, which hold hope out for ourselves and those around us? 

No comments:

Post a Comment