Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Lame Shall Enter First

Never Just a Visit to St. Anne de Beaupre

As a high schooler, I went on the "French Trip" to old Quebec City--and it was magnificent. Then I saw the Basilica of St. Anne de Beaupre, 30 miles east and set apart as its own world.  To enter the Basilica is to immediately loose your breath--it is that spectacular and deeply moving.   It was truly awe-inspiring and a sense of the holy abides there.  

The story if St. Anne is little known.  She was cast aside in a ship wreck and where they landed, they dedicated it to God--whereupon miracles of healing are said to have taken place.  Thought I to myself--a legend makes for good founding lore. Then, as I made my way to the entrance of the Bascilica--I discovered its true gift at the entrance.  There, strapped on the great pillars, were countless braces and crutches--presumably from those healed over 350 years.

Do I believe in all those healing miracles that took place? My decision is not important.  What is important is the faith of all those people who strapped them to the pillars. The only way into the kingdom of God is through those who trust and depend on God's grace.  Period.  

Years later I returned to the area for my honeymoon.  The Chateau Frontenac in Quebec is a virtual palace rising above the St. Lawrence.  But make no mistake that the first place I wanted to see was St. Anne's and to stand in awe of the faith that put those braces and crutches on the pillars.  That's what has always held up the kingdom of God.  That's the only way we enter! 


No comments:

Post a Comment