Friday, February 8, 2013

Just One Good Day, Please

Just One Good Day...Please. 

What happens to life when the only prayer is for just one good day?  Haven't you heard that request from those who suffer chronic pain, extreme medical therapies, or terminal illness?  Please, pray for just one good day... Or, we call to see how somebody is doing--and what do we hear, "Today is a good day," or "This is not a good day."

I don't want to hit this one too hard. But I do think how days fly by with me at times and I take for granted that my body works and is not in a dire condition.  So how do I use my "good days?" Is there time to pray for those who must count the days that are "good?"  Do I use my days to do more than remember them by putting prayer into action--a card, a call, maybe a visit?

Jesus was called "the Good Shepherd" for a reason.  No matter the situation--for him personally, for those who sought him out---He was there for them. Some even say that God was there too. 




Chemotherapy
By:  Julia Darling

I did not imagine being bald
at forty four. I didn’t have a plan.
Perhaps a scar or two from growing old,
hot flushes. I’d sit fluttering a fan.

But I am bald, and hardly ever walk
by day, I’m the invalid of these rooms.
stirring soups, awake in the half dark,
not answering the phone when it rings.

I never thought that life could get this small,
that I would care so much about a cup,
the taste of tea, the texture of a shawl,
and whether or not I should get up.

I’m not unhappy. I have learnt to drift
and sip. The smallest things are gifts.


No comments:

Post a Comment