Sunday, May 5, 2013

Harry Potter & Raises Resurrection Stone

Harry Potter & Deadly Hallows, Part 2
Raising the Resurrection Stone

For Harry Potter fans, I apologize because I am not a purist -- but I do respect the story and its text to refrain from imposing Christian themes on well-written magic.  They are what J K Rowling wanted them to be--great stories!  But whenever anyone starts uses Christian vocabulary and ideas--then the door is open for outside thoughts and applications. So when I heard about the resurrection stone--just could not resist this one!

What's the concept here?  Harry has selected the Resurrection Stone from 3 items and can use it to bring back the dead--not as ghosts, but neither in physical form.  He learns that he must die, to kill the Voldemort inside him (don't ask for details), and so he summons his family and two friends to give him strength and courage to die.  They appear and he is able to give up his life.  Hardly a new concept in the world of religions.....so J K Rowling has opened the door again.


Harry lies dead...and can see himself from the spirit world
Here's where I want to latch onto the Potter story to make the stones in our lives shout.  Read this dialogue:



Harry Potter: You'll stay with me?
James Potter: Until the end.
Sirius Black: We're here, you see.
Harry Potter: Stay close to me.
Lily Potter: Always.

There is nothing more powerful for us as people facing challenges greater than us as individuals than to summon the company of family, friends that stretch back through generations.  I can only share that at critical times in my life I have prayed for and visualized the company of my family and friends that go way back.  I could sit in "the presence of mine enemies and fear no evil" as the Greater Company was with me.

Is this what we mean by the Communion of Saints?  It could, perhaps.  But what I am after are those saints, those who believe in us and God's purpose for us, who walk this world into every valley that holds the shadow of death.

Instead of a stone, I carry a simple wooden pocket cross.  Some wear lapel angels.  But never find yourself out there as that lost sheep, sheep #100, without remembering the good news that Jesus the Shepherd seeks it (you!) out.  Stop right where you are and see, REALLY SEE, the vast company that embraces you.  That's why I love this line from the dialogue when Harry uses the stone and suddenly sees his family and friends who have died.




Harry Potter: Why are you here? All of you?
Lily Potter: We never left.



No comments:

Post a Comment