Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day 2013



May the Holy Spirit, 
who broods over her creation 
as a mother broods over her children,  
nurture, bless, unite, and keep you.



Russell Baker retired from the New York Times a Pulitzer Prize Winner and his book, Growing Up, shows why.  He takes us into the center of life and shows us the devotion of a mother who does far more than tend her brood when her mate dies prematurely from diabetes. "She was determined to make something out of me," Baker wrote, "she breathed her faith and confidence into me."  So off he goes to sit for the Johns Hopkins entrance exam and for scholarship aid.  He begins the test, then sits back and says, "Mother would have me say a prayer. So I bowed my head and said what came to me--'Now I lay me down to sleep.'"  

Don't we all carry the DNA and spirit of our mother's with us?  Maybe some of us don't tap into it like Baker with his family hovering above poverty following his father's death.  St. Paul writes about this gift in 2 Timothy 1:

  I am reminded of your sincere faith, 
a faith that lived first in your grandmother Lois 
and your mother Eunice
 and now, I am sure, lives in you.






No comments:

Post a Comment