Saturday, May 18, 2013

Our Most Desperate Need

Fill in the Bubbles!

Take a very close look at this picture.  No matter how you fill in these bubbles--these people are parallel, speaking and not listening.  Albert Camus says that the most desperate need of the human soul is to be heard.  When it is not--it begins to eat itself because we are fed when we are heard.  Or as one counselor told me way back--"Listening is an act of grace.  When we are truly heard, then we are 'accepted' as we really are." 

Real story.  I am making my way through the crowds of Costco.  A woman comes the opposite direction pushing a cart with a Blue Spruce, 4 ft high.  I blurt out:  "What a gorgeous tree!"  She stops and talks about what a deal she got. As I listen, I open the "doors" of the conversation to some deep places, such as a son sick with auto-immune from Lyme, a health system ignoring her, and a husband she claims has left everything for her to do--"and we are running out of money because insurance does not cover this kind of sickness."  I stood there just listening, confirming what I heard, accepting her.  She broke open with tears.

Okay enough!  I brought her out of it, affirmed her, and I got her email address.  Don't ask me where I plan to go with this!  But she left Costco having been truly heard.  I hope she was fed!


Can you FEEL the listening? 

No comments:

Post a Comment